WARNING: Unabashed Praise Inside
I heart Donnie. I hearted his first album - The Colored Section - for its honesty, ATL Soul, and Donnie's own vocal power. Tracks like "Do You Know" and "You Got a Friend" quite frankly got me through some pretty tough times! And everybody knows that I've spun Quentin Harris's remix of Cloud 9 to death. For me Donnie conjures Stevie Wonder, Sam Cooke, and his ATL bud India.Arie in his music. Not too shabby? But he's his own man. A black male artist not afraid of doing him, being beautiful, strong, and fierce through his spirit and song. Work, Donnie, work!
But it's been a minute since The Colored Section went from underground hit to record label pick up. This is all to say that many of his fans, myself included, have been on edge so to speak since word dropped last year that his new album was coming out. As a teaser to the June 19th album release, here's his latest video. If you aren't familiar with Donnie, get The Colored Section now. Second, don't let this first track's kumbayah's feel fool ya. Two tracks, which I had the privilege of hearing back at his concert at Joe's Pub last summer, includes two fierce ones by the names of "Daily News" and "9/11."
Back it up y'all, Donnie's bout to step to the mic.
p.s. King Britt is going to be at Summer Stage on July 28th according to his myspace. Stay tuned for the full list to drop on Summer Stage's website in mid-May (are we there yet!?).
I'm just a bucket of sharing and goodness this morning, ain't I? ;)
But it's been a minute since The Colored Section went from underground hit to record label pick up. This is all to say that many of his fans, myself included, have been on edge so to speak since word dropped last year that his new album was coming out. As a teaser to the June 19th album release, here's his latest video. If you aren't familiar with Donnie, get The Colored Section now. Second, don't let this first track's kumbayah's feel fool ya. Two tracks, which I had the privilege of hearing back at his concert at Joe's Pub last summer, includes two fierce ones by the names of "Daily News" and "9/11."
Back it up y'all, Donnie's bout to step to the mic.
p.s. King Britt is going to be at Summer Stage on July 28th according to his myspace. Stay tuned for the full list to drop on Summer Stage's website in mid-May (are we there yet!?).
I'm just a bucket of sharing and goodness this morning, ain't I? ;)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home