Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm writing. not without fear and not without anxiety, but I'm
writing dammit. With my work with Freedom Train Productions, I've
entered myself into our play development workshop as one of the
playwrights who will be writing a play that affirms Black LGBT life
and community. The whole freedom train project, running it, getting
off this new non profit theatre company off the ground is a part of my
NYU Wagner/OSI Foundation Fellowship. Originally I had decided to
stay clear of writing and just do the
administration/fundraising/organizational building work.

I don't want to spoil too much of the play but I'm really digging it.
Looking forward to having it read at FTP's summer showcase in August.
The play is called "SUPER." The lead's name is Shannon. I had had
this other character in the play named Jackson, but I took that person
out. I think Jackson as a first name is really hot. There was a boy
named Jackson in college I knew by that name. He rode a vespa. He
was really hot. Also, Julia Robert's hubby in Steel Magnolia... his
name was also Jackson. He was really hot. Coincidence? I think not!
Never met a brotha named Jackson, but if I did, I'm sure he'd be...

Over the weekend I went to this screenwriting, yes screenwriting not
playwriting workshop at NYU. The instructor was really dope, didn't
give what you'd expect him to give type workshop. He had stories for
days that always were that "teachable moment" type deal. One idea
that really struck a chord with me was that the process of writing a
film is actually three jobs. You have the story creation, the
storyboarding, and you have the dialogue writing. He said that the
best writers, recognize this and either share these responsibilities
with others -or- take one step at a time.

Many of my friends will often here me say that "I love playwriting,
but I hate writing." When he spoke about these division, I totally
felt him. Dialogue writing is my least favorite part of playwriting.
But thinking of the world of hte play, imaginging the conflicts,
struggles, characters, thats the part I love...

Anyways, thought I'd leave you all with one of my favorite LH quotes. *hugs*

I am a writer. I am going to write!
-Lorraine Hansberry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home