I've been a bit obssessed with what went down in Blacksburg, Virginia yesterday. Maybe because my school had the previous school shooting record of honor . Maybe because CNN sucked me in with their wall to wall coverage. Maybe because I'm fascinated by how different these 30 deaths feel to me (to America?) than the 3,000+ or the 60,000+ of Iraq. Or maybe because..
Cho Seung-Hui, the gunman, was a playwright who channeled his depression and sick thoughts into his writing .
VT reminds me so much of UT. From their student president to their school pride.
The first picture of a victim I saw was a young Black double major , well liked and who loved to laugh.
I feel guilty for watching so much, reading so much of violent moments like this one.
I might write about it some day.
That it just doesn't make sense to me. That maybe if I were there I could've stopped it.
I don't know.
When I get home I'm going to listen to Virginia Tech English Professor Nikki Giovanni's speech at the convocation ceremony where Bush spoke at earlier today.
Be well.
Cho Seung-Hui, the gunman, was a playwright who channeled his depression and sick thoughts into his writing .
VT reminds me so much of UT. From their student president to their school pride.
The first picture of a victim I saw was a young Black double major , well liked and who loved to laugh.
I feel guilty for watching so much, reading so much of violent moments like this one.
I might write about it some day.
That it just doesn't make sense to me. That maybe if I were there I could've stopped it.
I don't know.
When I get home I'm going to listen to Virginia Tech English Professor Nikki Giovanni's speech at the convocation ceremony where Bush spoke at earlier today.
Be well.
Labels: on America


2 Comments:
What a terrible record to have had broken. I can't say i feel relieved or bad for you. I wish that the first thing we knew about this kid wasn't his race, though, you know, in the way that you wish it wouldn't matter.
By
Anonymous, at 4/17/2007 10:07:00 PM
Don't feel bad about being sucked in. I too, find myself glued to the screen.
Some of my friends and I have discussed the 30+ deaths here vs. the 3000+ deaths in Iraq. In thinking about how I've been touched by this--and I have in a way that is surprising--I think that I'm slightly more horrified because it was so close to home...and it happened to young people who were not at war.
Thanks for posting the link to Nikki's speech. I'll post a link to it on my page
By
Leniere, at 4/18/2007 04:08:00 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home