Monday, October 02, 2006

Hey everyone, sorry I've been like mad MIA on journeyintolight. : ( I'm remembering though when I started this blog, during my trip to Barbados in the summer of 2005. Oh, how would I love a vacation like that right about now.

My theatre work though has been all sorts of dreamy. A Love Like Damien's, the show that i've directed, had mad sold out shows, we got pretty good press from The New York Blade, not-so-good-press from Gay City News. After reading it my opinion of the GCN review: I thought well b4 this review came out that Phil's character could use a bit more fleshing out and took away from Damien's own self-destruction. Not to mention that right before this came out, Andrea was already working on this. It's interesting too cause even a couple black folks have come up to me expressing how they thought Phil's character was either too much of a punching bag or something else. Regardless, the actor who played Phil was funny as hell, nailed it... But u know whats so fucked up about all this... THE PLAY AIN'T ABOUT PHIL! lol. For the headline to be what it is and for me to be blogging about him really makes me want to address this issue cause for real, we should be focusing on black folks! So I actually am thinking this not-so-good-press is actually not-that-bad. What's W.'s motto? Spin machine baby! But after that clearly Mr. Robinson just went on a shady rampage with regards to his opinion about the movement. I *do* think that with our extended run at HERE's Dorothy Stage - the choreo pieces will have more room to be the graceful, spirited movements that they are. It's funny how things come full circle though, HERE is next door to GCN. ;)

on another front of my theatre work... so i've been awarded this kick ass fellowship where i basically get to do everything i want to do all day long: theatre! and get this, i'm gettin P A I D! yes, yes so dreamy. I'll try to keep folks abreast of my work with Freedom Train Productions. Right now I'm on blast, tryin to promote our Residency for Black Activist Playwrights. It's pretty dope. Highlights include: Workshop and Labortory for Play Development (directors and actors in house working on the script too!), monthly play reading series, and a freaking theatre festival! I'm goign to be all over the place, but in a good way.

I feel so blessed with regards to FTP and ALLD. yay.

alright, so i'm out.

much <3>

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home