*New* Black Gay Media Campaign

Today, New York State Black Gay Network launched a new ad campaign in New York City buses, subways, and other prominent media spots in black communities across the city along side launching their WeAreAPartOfYou.org website. Under the project title Campaign to Save Black Men's Lives, the Network held a a press conference on 125th and Broadway where two of its three striking billboards have gone up.
In a press release, Executive Director Mark McClaurin says that "Black gay men have always been a part of every aspect of the Black community, it's not a matter of acceptance from the community of some foreign presence, it is about acknowledgement, love and respect from our own for us. If we want to stop the spread of HIV, Black gay men need to know that their lives matter in the very communities in which they live."
I think this is campaign is hot and inspiring. And not just because Network worker-bee Kenyon is my old roommate and dear friend, or because I'm going to be jumping off a black LGBT theatre company at the Networkhis fall.. oorrrrr because the design concept (color themes and rhyme) is on fi-yah!! Okay so maybe its a confluence of all dat. But really this is just so awesome and affirming. To be black and gay in this city is tuff, we all know this by now. With this blitz adds a little something to look up to as we walk by screaming "I AM SOMEBODY!"
this will go a long ways for us protecting ourselves! and gettin' inclusion from our community.
I am Gay and This is Where I Pray, hmmm... sounds catchy. :)) I likes.
Work it out, Network! Work it.


1 Comments:
thanks, bernie, you just beat me to referencing you!
By
Andre Lancaster, at 8/23/2006 06:13:00 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home